Here at Idyllwild Advertising we are a very environmentally conscious and earth friendly company. I would like to share a few things that we do to make our office greener.
Recycle products used in the office.
For paper, envelopes, and junk mail- place a decorative box or container in your office next to your printer (We have a cute, fabric woven hamper) making recycling stylish and functional.
- Used printer cartridges -take them back to Office Depot and you can get an in-store credit or money back, so you can and save on other supplies you need for the office.
- When bringing a lunch, try to do so with reusable containers. It is healthier to eat from home and you don’t have fast food wrapper waste.
- Buy reusable glasses, plates and silverware rather than paper or plastic dinnerware.
Paperless! I realize that going completely paperless is not always possible, but by doing a few small things you cut down waste considerably.
- Scan and email a document rather than making copies and mailing them. If you have a meeting outside of your office take your laptop to the meeting and present a digital copy. If anyone requests a copy you can email a pdf to them. (This is a regular practice for Idyllwild).
- Opt out of paper statements with your bank, phone company, insurance company and any other vendors that offer paperless statements. I find it a lot easier to view my statements online and we are saving trees.
- Use online banking whenever possible, direct deposit and online bill pay saves time and you use less checks.
- Switch off any unnecessary lighting throughout the day.
- Turn off all computer equipment, machinery or other mechanical appliances when not in use.
- Wear cute warm sweaters in the winter and turn the heat down.
- Always order Holiday cards made from recycled paper. For instance this year we gave Recycled Holiday cards infused with the seeds from wildflowers. Clients can plant them in the spring.
- Give the gift that is for the client and the environment (two gifts in one). This last Holiday Season we gave little pine trees, making it the gift that keeps on giving for years to come.
We are always open to new ideas. Let us know if you have any suggestions to make Idyllwild a greener company.
-Lori Davis, Office Manager and Accounting